Yesterday, I was actually thinking about setting up a new running routine to re-commit. I've become a bit lax about my schedule since my last race, so that I could give my legs a chance to recover. It was time for some new goals, a new schedule, and a new motivation. After doing a 5 mile run and taking a shower I decided to go to Publix.
After arriving at Publix, I did my usual routine as I strolled through the isles. I had no idea what this night had in store. Once I got to the back of the store there was this deafening sound that erupted. At first I assumed it was something that fell, but after seeing people fleeing down the aisle I realized that it was a gun shot. At that point my instincts kicked in and I started running into the stock room. You see, the first job I ever had was as a Publix bag boy so I was quite familiar with the layout of the stores. While in the stock room I made the decision to go out the back door because I realized that if we were a spree then we'd be sitting ducks.
After running through the back door, about a dozen people followed me. 10 seconds after going outside, we heard another shot ring into the night. It was obviously outside now. While some people began running inside, I made the decision to get as far from the building as possible so that I could see everything going on in front of me. Remember, at this point there are no details. Is it multiple people? No idea. So, I made my way behind he bushes with a few other people who were customers & employees. While behind the bushes we saw individuals running around the side of the building and it was unclear if the shooter was amongst them. This is when I began running even further from the building but staying behind the bushes.
I didn't intend to run any more that evening, and I wasn't wearing running shoes. I was wearing dress shoes and my legs were already tired from the run I finished about 30 minutes ago. Regardless, with all of the adrenaline rush I was prepared to run any distance needed. Some of the people were quite winded, but I tried to encourage them to keep going. To make matters worse, about 10 seconds after we ran behind the long row of bushes (which ran along the entire back of the store) the sprinklers went on drenching all of us. That didn't phase us because we had bigger problems.
It did not take long for the police to arrive, and when they did we were held in the back of the building for about 30 mins, and then we were asked to go back in the store to be accounted for, and to be asked a couple of questions. After running earlier in the evening I did not think I'd be doing any more exercise. Although as terrifying as the situation was, I did find some peace that it was an isolated issue and was an estranged husband who came in and shot his wife before shooting himself. The shooter did not shoot anyone else and none of the customers got injured. It is one of those things that there is nothing else I could have done in that situation, even though I've already played it out in my mind over and over. I can say with certainty though that it is one more reason to stay in good shape: to be prepared for anything, because you don't know what is around the corner in life.
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment