Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Gearing Up For Long Runs

I did my first long run last Friday. Traditionally, people training for marathons do a slow consistently-paced long run once a week to build up their long distance stamina. I did a 7.5 mile run at approximately 9-minute-mile pace and felt fine at the end. It was the first time that I was running for over an hour straight (I do not stop and take breaks, I carry a water bottle with me and drink as I am running).Normally,I've been doing runs at 8-minute to 8.2 minute mile pace. It is amazing what even just a 10% reduction in speed can do for your stamina. I think this Friday I'm going to try an even longer run. The key is to do them later at night so that the sun has gone down. Regardless of the progress I have made, an 8 or 9 mile run with the sun beaming down could suck the life out of me.

Yesterday I did a 5-mile run in less than 40 minutes and I was very happy with the results. Right now I am weighing in under 200 lbs - probably around 198. Pretty much a full 20 pounds less than when I started running in March and 25 pounds less than the heaviest point in my life. I'm still eating the same though - which goes to prove that if you want to lose weight all you have to do is actually put some effort into it. Personally, I'd prefer to be around 200 to 205 - but after eating triple & quadruple portions of pasta AND chicken breast I realize that there is no way to keep up with my regimen.

After running now for 4 months consistently and with discipline I have come to the conclusion that everyone who wants to lose weight through exercise but somehow seems to be stagnant throughout the years is just not putting in the effort. It reminds me of all those commercials for at-home fitness devices that make "getting in shape easy". Why fuss with it all? Just go run. Get off your air conditioned eliptical machine and hit the roads. I don't see how it is possible NOT to lose weight - especially if you are eating properly.

2 comments:

Cyn said...

Bro - what you're describing is the F.I.T. principle. If you've stagnated, increase the frequency, intensity or time (duration) of your workout. In order words, work harder! It really is amazing that the weight loss industry is a multi-billion dollar machine when every single personal trainer out there knows that there is only one way to do it:

Eat less and exercise more/harder. Period. If there was another way, Oprah would have bought it already!

Constantine said...

Yeah, I believe that if you aren't wondering to yourself: "Wow, how am I going to duplicate that work-out?" and then going out and topping it on a consistent basis then you are doomed to experience some complacency.