Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Desert Spring

Currently I am on Southwest flight 1010 on my next mission, to Las Vegas, where I will be working and playing (a little) for the next 9 days. It might sound grandiose and fun to you – but you can trust me from experience that any time in Vegas over 3 days can be quite tiring and not all it is cracked up to be! From there I will be flying back to Orlando so that I can DJ at “HouseFlyz” night – and then the very next day off to Washington, D.C. to tend to some family business. In other words, I will be living out of my suitcase for the next 2 weeks. Not going to be too bad considering I did it for almost 8 months total when I spent most of 2007 in Greece. I like to use the extreme examples of perseverance in my life to contrast any situation in front of me (e.g. earlier the person next time complained at how long this flight is from Orlando to Vegas – and in my mind all I was thinking about was how short it is compared to Chicago-Tokyo).


I actually used to live in Las Vegas back in 1996 for a few months. It was a much different world back then, and it definitely altered the way that I look at the city. At the time I worked as a bus boy at Piero’s Italian Cuisine 5-star restaurant. During my employment there I met Mike Tyson, Don King, Elle Macpherson, Mariah Carey, Bob Stupek, Jerry Tarkanian and a whole host of other local and international celebrities. Despite this 5-star setting, I still had to take the bus and do a bit of walking to get to work – not very glamorous. Since then I have come back to Vegas for trade shows about 8 times. All of this together has molded my view of the city that is anything but a ‘vacation of cocktails and roullete’! When I think about Vegas I think abut chapped lips, getting shocked, sore feet, traffic jams, bad 80s music in casinos, extreme cold, extreme heat and sketchy buffets. All of which I plan to pre-empt!

No comments: