Monday, June 29, 2009

The Sub-7 Half-Marathon



Earlier this year I decided that I should start to have some new kind of goal. Logically, a time goal would be the best point of attack. I've decided that my BHAG (big hairy audacious goal) would be the sub-7 minute mile marathon. Shoot for the stars type of deal?

Before my bronchitis I was down to doing a 5-mile run averaging 7:15min/miles. Since the beginning of my recovery I just clocked in today my best run which was at 7:28min/miles, so I am getting close to where I was at before my setback. Even while running these times I am certain that I am not giving 100% because I am accounting for the fact that within 47 hours I am going to try to beat this time again. The audacious part is that I haven't gotten down to 7min/miles yet - AND - the prospect of having to hold that pace for 13.1 miles is getting quite daunting.

My friends perked my ear last week about a Half-Ironman relay, where I could do the running portion (half-marathon). This could determine my goal date to aim for. The big wild card will be trying to maintain, or improve, my conditioning while in Greece. The topography is much different than Florida and it is not as easy as you think to fit into the flow of life. I am sure some relatives will give me some weird looks as this type of fitness training is not exactly as common. "Your going running? Why?".

No comments: