Sunday, January 13, 2008

Athens-NY-Miami

I'm finally on board an Airbus 340-400 on the way back to the United States. As of right now my return ticket to Greece is mid-February, and I will have to use my time wisely in the states so that I am better prepared this time around. I think that I've made some big strides in understanding the culture, especially since it was only within a period of 5 months this year.

I had no choice but to roll the dice at Athens airport with an expired visa and I was lucky not to get messed with. After hearing all the horror stories about getting drafted into the army on the spot you begin to get some sweaty palms having to go face the Passport control agents. It seems that the females of Greece have been the most helpful and kind to me in the EU so I opted to avoid all the male agents and go into the line with the lady. I think it might have helped that my new passport, which I got 18 months ago, has a good amount of ink to distract the eyes: Bahamas, Japan, China two times, Germany, Italy, Greece, UK, and all the stamps from the USA side as well. This might have helped cover-up my case, so I would not recommend doing this because you will get fined an arbitrary amount of money.

Over the next month I will be in Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, and Washington, DC. I'm going to enjoy seeing everyone and it will be interesting to see how my perspective is being back here. How will I feel about it? I have a feeling that I will notice all the things the USA has that Greece doesn't and also the reverse. I wonder which will weigh heavy on me?

.Although my blog is not going to be 'international' per say, I will be keeping up with it.

No comments: