Saturday, July 18, 2009

Humor in Tragedy

It looks like my grandmother is getting better, so I wanted to write an update. They have identified what the complication was through a bunch of tests and every day she is getting better now that she is with good doctors on the mainland. It is with these more positive spirits that the humor has come out in all of this. Yes, that's right, we Greeks somehow find a way to find humor in tragedy. Some of the funniest family stories are during tragic times (I swear I can't make this stuff up). Here is a quick shocking list:

-The hospital she is saying at has no a/c except for the administrative offices for the doctors & nurses!
-My grandmother's tube was knocked out by a cleaning lady at the hospital and luckily my dad identified this when she was having problems breathing again
-My grandmother revealed to my mom that she had a secret drawer in her house where she keeps the clothes and accessories she wants to wear in her casket - and they are the same ones she wore for my baptism
-My grandmother told my mom at the health clinic, when she thought she was surely dying, that she was glad it was happening when I was here so I'd be able to attend her funeral
-The Doctors did not let my mother ride in the ambulence with her from the island to the mainland b/c they were sure she was going to die and they didn't want to deal with a sobbing lady!

It looks like she will be released some time next week. They told her 3 years ago that she had 1 to 2 years MAX to live. Cmon grandma, I think you can make it another 3

More updates to come... I will be leaving the island to visit my grandmother on Monday and then starting my "tour" of Greece. I will be in Serres on Monday. More pictures to come. Uh oh, my cousins are on Facebook too - so I could have picture updates without even uploading anything! A novel concept.

No comments: