Friday, December 14, 2007

Counter-insurgency

They thought I was just going to go away at the Aliens bureau but I returned today in full force. I brought with me an offier from the Army, courtesy of my uncle who is a Naval Commander, and we began to create some wiggle room with his contacts within the police. I'm going to have to get some paperwork together with an explanation why I have to stay but it just might be feasible. D-day has been pushed back to next week for the time being.

If I were to go into an account of the steps I took today most of you would not believe me. I've learned alot about how the public servants work, and don't work, but seeing it in action is beyond any stretch of the imagination. No one will do anything around here UNLESS they feel like it might benefit them in the long-run (i.e.: the police might need a favor from the military so they are courtesy to the army officer with me). I had to bite my lip so many times. One particular lady, who has created the most problems, was on the phone with her boss (who I have gotten on my side), and I could tell he said to her "Let's help this guy". She replied, "Yes, let's help, but he is such a hassle!". It was quite bizzare. Especially since she hassled ME by giving me the wrong information which sent me on a fruitless goosechase for a week. She is just pissed off that I came back a day after she told me nothing was possible. It was a friday and she was smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee at 1pm with her co-employees in a room waiting to leave at 1:30pm for the weekend. Yes, that's right, 1:30! Hopefully she'll realize that I'm relentless and I don't care if I have to bring the prime minister in that office with me I will get my extension.

At the end of the day if it is not possile and the bureacracy can not be circumvented I will come home. After all, I was doing them a favor by coming here. It was going to be a win-win, and I was going to learn more about how my country operates (already a scary thought). Alas, if they want to find reasons to try to draft me into service, or turn me away, then I will depart just like my parents did.

No comments: