The Greek government is up to it again with their incompetence. I'm being told now that I can not get a temporary residency nor any kind of visa extension because I am of Greek descent and I have the right to Greek citizenship. The problem with this is, ofcourse, that if I were to become a Greek citizen I would have to go to the army for 6 months. Tomorrow I am going to go down to another government office (since they are so incompetent you usually have to ask 3 or 4 agencies to figure out what the consensus is on the question). I'm going to put to the test what I was told yesterday at the Alien Police.
Anyways, I digress. This morning was one of the most frustrating of my life. I went to the Alien Police with everything they told me that I would need and then I was told, "Umm, wait! Both your parents are Greek so we can't give you the temporary residency". OK, well, they already knew all that, but because they are so incompetent it didn't register to them until I got there and they went to their supervisor. To further complicate things, I have been told that with my paperwork I can stay indefinately in Greece - and that I won't be fined when I leave the country. This doesn't make any sense though!? It's like telling someone they have the right to drive a car - but they can't issue them a license. So, right now I am between a rock and a hard place. I'm going to go put the "new information" i have gotten to the test.
What this is going to be boiling down to if I do not solve the problem is either (a) go to the army (b) head back to the states or (c) become an illegal alien!?
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What makes you think Greece, with its low birth rate, would allow you to live here without making you serve in the military? If it was that easy, lots of people would have done it already. Putting you in fatigues is their top priority.
Don't listen to anyone who tells you they can get you out of the situation. You have nothing to put on the table in this bargaining session. No one ever does anything for anyone here unless they can profit by it. You don't even have citizenship. No one's really going stick their neck out for you, no matter what they say. You're not in a position to return the favor. Only the rich and famous get away with it here, and sometimes even they don't. (Like Papakaliatis.)
Is this lawyer taking money for what she's doing? If so, she's taking you for a ride.
Just do your service. Six months goes by quickly. Who knows -- it might even make your blog more interesting.
For me, going to the army for 6 months, if I am here to work for a year or two (and severing all my ongoing business relationships abroad) would be a very poor return on investment. Especially since I would be able to become a citizen w/o military obligation in 8 years anyhow. I'm just looking for what other Americans can do - work here for a limited period of time. The lawyer is doing a favor - and yes, I agree it could definately make the blog more interesting - LOL.
Dude, if you wanted a return on investment, you wouldn't have come here in the first place.
Post a Comment