
My aunt told me to double-check my ticket at the train station because they screwed hers up and she had to go ALL the way back to re-cut the ticket. Just as she said, as soon as I paid I had to let the lady know that she gave me the ticket for the wrong day. She gave me this piss poor look and re-did it. "DEFTERA" definately sounds nothing like "KIRIAKI" - drink some coffee and wake up!
Then I went to get one of those super-sized gyros. The young man said "4.30 Euros". I handed him E5.20 and said "no more change" - he said, "No big deal" and put it in the register. He then turned around quickly and finished filling the pita up with fries, tzaziki, tomatoes, and onion. I then asked him if I was going to get my Euro change back. He put this fake-looking "deep thought" face on and then came out of it and said,"you're right". I wonder how many times a day he does that? It probably increases his wage quite a bit...
A Greek-American that lives in Athens told me the first day I was in Greece, "You've got to double check everything everybody does here - nothing runs like clockwork. Also, you have to be very observant. No one will grab your wallet off the table but they will find other ways to rob you". I think he's got a point...
No comments:
Post a Comment