Monday, October 8, 2007

White Tower of Thessaloniki























Today I wanted to share one of the main symbols of Thessaloniki: the White Tower here on the waterfront overlooking the gulf. It is about a 5 minute walk from my uncle's house where I am staying - and it is the most identifiable landmarks of the city.

I've attached some pictures. Here are some excerpts and facts about the White Tower
  • The present tower dates from the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent (1520–66).
  • The Tower was for centuries part of the walls of the old city of Thessaloniki

  • It now stands on Thessaloniki's waterfront boulevard, Nikis (Victory) Street
  • It has been adopted as the symbol of the city, and also as a symbol of Greek sovereignty over Macedonia.
  • There was an older tower on the same site, probably built by French knights during the period of the Latin Empire in Constantinople.
  • The museum in the White Tower contains various collections of sculptures, frescoes, fragments of mosaic floors and wall mosaics, icons, coins, inscriptions, pottery, glass and metal items

No comments: