He was probably joking when he made some comments recently, but Channing Crowder of the Miami Dolphins admitted that he didn’t know until Tuesday that the people in London spoke English. This is because the Dolphins are getting ready to play a game in London vs. the New York Giants. This is supposed to help promote the sport and the league.
Crowder, a graduate of the University of Florida with a 3.5 GPA said:
“I couldn’t find London on a map if they didn’t have the names of the countries,” Crowder said. “I swear to God. I don’t know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that. I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him. That’s the closest thing I know to London. He’s black, so I’m sure he’s not from London. I’m sure that’s a coincidental name.”
I noticed that a lot of people online slammed Crowder but then Gator faithful came out to defend. Here are some comments from them:
“He cracks his own jokes that only he gets to laugh at. I love it.”
“He had a validated 3.5 GPA at University of Florida, and I believe he graduated early.”
“If thats true he is a smartass. I love smartasses”
My take is simple: Channing, you are a moron!
Look, he’s not a household name so he doesn’t have the burden of being a role model, but he’s got to realize that they are going overseas to promote the game NOT promote American ignorance. He’s got to know that in today’s age news organizations will jump all over this in Europe and publish and re-publish it. Why not? It re-validates what the perception of an America is. Yes, we all know you might have gotten a good laugh out of it but newspaper type-set is black & white and it is kind of hard to see your humor come through. The only people that are laughing are the ones abroad – and it’s not because of Channing’s savvy humor.
The ironic part is that he graduated with a degree in Social and Behavioral Sciences. I’d say that degree is worth about as much as it’s weight in paper right about now.
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
GO DOLPHINS AND GATORS!!!
Channing Crowder for U.N. Ambassador!
GO GIANTS!!!!! I CANT WAIT TO WATCH THE GAME!!!!!! NY!!!! Ny!!!!!! LOVE THE GIANTS!!!!!
Cristina
Post a Comment