Monday, November 12, 2007

Reciprocation

I’ve always been very punctual and tried to be considerate of others. Reciprocity is of paramount importance to me and my nature. Not because total balance should be the basis of all communication, relationships, gestures, etc., but because when an absence exists of any reciprocation things become apparent to you about others.

I’ve noticed that in many parts of my Greek culture reciprocation is very important. Not only with being conscientious of others but also in the everyday exchange of the language. There is always something proper to say when someone else says something obligatory to you such as (English equivalents would be): have a nice day, it’s good to see you again, have a good rest, I’m so happy to see you again, etc. etc. This is something I’ve tried to be very cognizant about in trying to master the language. To me, it’s an important element.

Sometimes I ask myself about the self-imposed reciprocation policy that I carry out with the rest of my life. I’m always calling or communicating with others just to say hi, or to cheer up their day, or to be able to stay in contact. I think that many of my friends, and family, have gotten so accustomed to it that the initiative has become a 1-way street. Perhaps it is something that I should re-visit, not to induce some sort of test but because I will probably get tired of bearing the load after a protracted period of time. Then what – I will be the one who “stopped communicating” when in fact I was supporting the existence of any communication at all.

One thing I’ve learned in life is that a lot of our misperceptions and distortions of reality occur when we become habitually exposed and adapt to infrastructure in our relationships that seem to work without any effort.

Ever wonder why they are effortless?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...message? :)

Constantine said...

vaguely. it encompasses many parts of my life.